Bible Reading Plan
Why read the bible?
The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword, and the Christian’s charter. Here is paradise restored, heaven opened and the gates of hell disclosed. Christ is its grand object, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened in judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibilities, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents. WHY NEGLECT TO USE IT?
BRIEF GUIDELINES FOR BIBLE STUDY
- Pray before you read, asking God to help
- Read the passage for the day, perhaps more than once.
- Reflect on the passage and write your thoughts in a journal.
- Apply what God teaches you from His Word to your life.
- Pray again, asking God to help you live out His Word.